Red Velvet Cupcakes
I've been trying to find a recipe that I like for Red Velvet cake for some time...some recipes have almond in them and the kids don't like it...but this recipe OH YES is amazing! My three year old ate four even before I'd attempted to frost them! These cupcakes are moist, so tasty and a gorgeous deep red colour that isn't lost in the baking. Makes 24. Here's all you will need and what to do...
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 tablespoons red food colouring
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup butter (softened to room temp)
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/4 cups all purpose (plain) flour
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons white vinegar
* Preheat your oven to 180oC
* line two cupcake trays with paper cupcake cases
* Mix the vanilla, red food colouring and cocoa in a small bowl to create a red paste. Cover and set aside.
* In a mixer (or by hand) cream the butter and sugar
* add the eggs
* add the salt, baking soda and red paste mix
* add the flour, milk and vinegar
* Mix well and evenly distribute into paper cupcake cases
* Bake for about 15 minutes or till bounces back when tapped on top.
Gorgeous with cream cheese frosting or lightly dusted with icing sugar.