Egg Free Butter Free - Ration Cakes

 
Today I was reading up on what it was like during the second world war when they were required to use rations.  People were given coupon books for their clothing, food, petrol.
Imagine only one egg a week per person!  I guess in my household would be ok as we would have eight eggs altogether a week and with a kilo of meat each that would be more than enough to feed the family.
 
"Making Do" During the Depression
 
However, for many families, it meant going without a LOT and making do, and being inventive.  I found this recipe whilst looking up the "Depression Era" in the USA and what they used to cook then.  It is almost identical to cakes made by the Aussie women during the war.  No eggs, no butter - here is a simple little cake recipe - I'm sure their children would have been delighted.
I quite liked them - a crispy little top and dense sweet centre (my kids weren't really thrilled as I usually make decadent chocolate things with ganache or cream) but I thought they were quite lovely.  So really, if you just want a little treat with a cuppa whip these up and imagine yourself in the 1940's being a frugal housewife.
 
Dairy Free, Egg Free - "Ration/Depression" cakes
Heat oven to 350F (180oC).

Line cupcake tray with papers.

This recipe is basically a sweet vanilla cake.

1 3/4 cups flour
1 c sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vinegar
2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup oil
1 c cold water

Combine ingredients and pour into your cupcake papers.  I used a jug to do this as the mix is quite runny. Bake in oven until done, when cake springs back to the touch or a toothpick comes out clean. Took about 25 minutes.
 
Makes 12 cupcakes.


Comments