Basic Vanilla Cupcake Recipe.
2 3/4 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
200g unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 cups caster sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk
- Preheat your oven to 170oC.
- Line your cupcake trays with papers.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder.
- Cream butter in your mixer (or labouriously by hand)
- Add the sugar a third at a time, beating for 2 minutes after each addition until mix is light, fluffy and sugar almost dissolved.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating for a minute after each addition.
- Add vanilla.
- Add one third of flour mix to creamed mix and beat till combined.
- Add half the milk
- Add last third of flour and beat till JUST combined. Don't overbeat or your cakes will be tough.
- Spoon mix into papers about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18-20 mins or until bounces back at touch and lightly golden.
- Remove from trays immediately and cool on a wire rack.
- cream 100g unsalted butter for 2 minutes
- Add 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 tablespoon vanilla and 4 cups of icing sugar
- Beat for a few minutes until light and fluffy - add food colouring as desired.
- (this recipe doubles perfectly if required)